Thursday, April 3, 2008

Musical Showcase


I have just finished my Musical Theatre Showcase at AMDA! The past five weeks have been full of highs and lows. I’ve learned so much about myself as a performer. There is a process for the showcases at AMDA. This is a five-week process starting off with the first week being auditions. During the week each member of the cast gets up and sings a few songs from their book. The director and artistic director then start handing out songs that might fit the show they wanted to put together. The format for our show was Politics. Our Director decided to address everything that was happening right now in the world. We covered global warming, gun control, the change needed in our economy, and a lot of other important issues. After the first week we were cast! I A duet from The Wild Party called “Welcome to My Party” and a solo from A New Brain called “Change”. I was so absolutely excited that I got to be in two things! For the next two weeks we worked on all the numbers trying to make them flow one into another. It was such a great experience being able to work on a real show again! Then the next two weeks were for tech and costumes and being on the stage. This is when I felt that the show was an actual show!!! The last week was our full run-thru and this was one of the hardest weeks I’ve had here at AMDA. I was not performing up to my potential. I was pushed by my director and my choreographer to be better than I knew how too. One thing that stood out the most to me was something my director said to me after we had run my duet. The lights were shining on my face the entire cast was on the stage and he said “Aubrey do you like performing?” of course I said yes! He said the most important thing about being on stage is proving that there is nowhere else would rather be. This made me really remember that I DO love to perform and that I have to really have that fire within me at all times! Then came the show!!!! My family got to come up to New York!!! It was so exciting to be able to perform with them in the audience! Overall this experience was a learning one. I learned how to be myself and soak up the spotlight!

aubrey

1 comment:

Gaynor Lubojasky said...

Hey, Aubs! Loved your show and was so glad we could be there. What a blessing it was to see you shine brightly in what you love to do. Life is a series of learning experiences, and I am glad you soaked up these. Love you with all my heart...Mom